As a civil society organisation, AIC takes part in global networks where it contributes to and helps coordinate the efforts of public and private bodies. Through its presence in these institutions, AIC keeps abreast of international thinking in its areas of competence, so it can continue to develop its own skills.
Through its representatives, AIC tries to raise public awareness of issues of poverty and exclusion. AIC challenges both civil and religious international authorities, reporting on situations of poverty found by the volunteers.
More specifically, AIC representatives:
- Apply pressure, offering testimonies from AIC associations working locally, and putting forward the point of view of those most in need, so that their voices are heard in discussions around international policies;
- Take part in the global consideration of issues concerning our society, contributing their grassroots level experience;
- Pass on to AIC the views of international bodies to guide its actions and its role in social transformation.
AIC is an INGO (International Non-Governmental Organisation) and has representatives in various international and European organisations.
- Special Consultative Status at ECOSOC – UN Economic and Social Council
- Consultative Status with UNESCO – United Nations Economic, Social and Cultural Organisation
- Participatory Status with the Council of Europe
- Consultative Status with the Human Rights Council in Geneva
It is also a member of the following international networks
- CCIC – CCIG : Catholic Centres of the international bodies in which it participates
- EAPN – European Anti-Poverty Network
- WUNRN (Women’s United Nations Report Program & Network)
Representation within the universal Church
AIC is an association of lay faithful which:
- Is recognised by the Dicastery for Laity, Family and Life
- Is a member of the Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development (for human and Christian advancement)
- Is a member of Crescendo – Network for a human and Christian ageing
- Participates in the Global Forums of Catholic inspired NGOs